Install with previous portable version of Easyslides

Welcome Forums Version 5 Beta Install with previous portable version of Easyslides

This topic contains 9 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Dangthrimble 1 year, 1 month ago.

• Author

Dangthrimble
    Participant

We are currently running with a portable version of Easislides v4. How can we ensure an install of v5 beta will copy and convert data from the existing easislides?

Thanks

semmyk
    Participant

One approach might be to install v5 beta, then:
    – copy over the ‘EasiSlidesData’ folder; or
    – In settings, change path (lyrics folder, media et al) to old location;

You can also import from old to new v3 beta

Dangthrimble
    Participant

To where should I copy the ‘EasiSlidesData’ folder? That folder doesn’t exist for the new install when the beta hasn’t yet run.

Dangthrimble
    Participant

I tried copying the folder to the ‘easyslides’ folder, but that didn’t work.

I then moved the folder to ‘easyslides\System\Lyrics’ and that didn’t work.

I then moved the contents of ‘EasiSlidesData\Admin\Database’ to ‘easyslides\System\Lyrics’ and that didn’t work.

I then tried changing the path to the media folder in settings (that didn’t appear relevant as it is just the location of media files, not lyrics) and discovered the new ‘EasySlidesData’ folder is in ‘Documents’, so I copied the ‘EasiSlidesData\Admin\Database’ folder to ‘Documents\EasySlidesData\Admin’ and that didn’t work.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by  Dangthrimble.

Dangthrimble
    Participant

Uninstalled easyslides and deleted ‘Documents\EasySlidesData’, reinstalled but didn’t run easyslides, copied the old ‘EasiSlidesData’ folder to ‘Documents’ and ran easyslides. Still didn’t pick up the old lyrics.

Dangthrimble
    Participant

So I installed EasiSlides v4 and discovered the song database is actually held in ‘C:\EasiSlides\Admin\Database’ as ‘EasiSlidesDb.mdb’. Renamed the file to ‘EasiSlidesDb.mdb.old’ and copied across the version from the portable install. Ran EasiSlides to check the rights lyrics were available.

Installed Easyslides v5 and it still didn’t pick up the songs in the old database.

Has something been retained in the Registry so Easyslides doesn’t think it is a new install?

Dangthrimble
    Participant

Uninstalled Easyslides v5, cleaned up the Registry then reinstalled. Still not picking up the old lyrics.

Step 3 of the install instructions states:
    When run for the first time the beta will copy and convert data from your existing easislides v4 but will keep v4 intact. You can therefore run both v4 and v5beta at the same time, on the same machine, independently of each other.

So how is this supposed to work?

Dangthrimble
    Participant

Found the answer in on the forum.

If anyone is interested and can’t follow the thread above, I will document the steps I took to convert the lyrics on my portable install of EasiSlides v4 to Easyslides v5 beta.

Dangthrimble
      Participant

Apologies, the post above included a link to the relevant forum post but it seems to have gone missing. I’ve found the details and will post them below in my summary of how I installed Easyslides v5 beta and included the lyrics from my portable version of EasySlides v4 below.

Dangthrimble
    Participant

For the instructions see Installing Easyslides v5 and importing lyrics, etc. from portable EasiSlides v4.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.